21 Tips for Aligning Corporate Swag with Your Marketing Objectives
Everyone knows that corporate swag is an awesome way to spread the word about your brand and engage new and existing customers. But did you know that it’s also a perfect opportunity to boost many of your other marketing objectives? With cool promotional items, you can re-energize your existing customer base, attract new talent and even gain followers from a whole new demographic.
So how do you tailor your giveaway items to meet these marketing goals? The key is to align the DNA of your brand with the audience and the event. Everybody knows that brand storytelling is a big — though often underused — opportunity for marketers, and one of the simplest ways to tell your story is through cool swag. Let your promotional items demonstrate what makes your company unique and exceptional.
Company Swag for Lead Generation
In the majority of cases, you simply won’t get very far if you don’t have a solid base of prospective customers. Lead generation is all about attracting and converting strangers into loyal fans, and there’s basically no better way to do that than through branded promotional items at trade shows and conferences. Cold-calling is no longer effective; you’ve got to catch potential clients’ attention in more commanding ways.
- Offer an Incentive — According to Dr. Robert Cialdini’s book Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, reciprocation is one of the most valuable tools in terms of branding. Even small booth giveaways — like a promotional pens or stylus— will encourage conference attendees to feel the need to reciprocate. Invite them to sign up for your e-mail list or follow your company on social media for a branded gift.
- Give Something Useful — Let’s not kid ourselves. Conference attendees come home drowning in business giveaways. So much so that they may even fail to register the business names in their pile of corporate swag. Pick something useful, like cool tech giveaways, to ensure that your handouts actually get used. The more use your branded gifts get, the more effect they have.
- Design with Quality — This one’s especially important if you’re prepping for an event, trade show or conference in your specific industry where you know that attendees will be bombarded with competitors. The best trade show giveaways are those that are well-designed and eye-catching so they stand out in a crowd. Going for quality giveaways is just as important for virtual events. When swag is being shared on zoom, you want yours to be quality!
Company Swag for Building Brand Awareness
According to this powerful study, 50 percent of consumers keep a promotional product for between one and four years. That’s a good chunk of time to make an impression. If your primary goal at your next event or conference is to make your brand a household name, a good place to start is with unique swag items.
Company Swag for a New Service or Launch
You’ve worked hard on your new service or product, and now all you need is some buzz. Cool promotional products are a good way to help garner attention, whether you’re debuting your new product at a launch party or hyping it up pre-launch at an industry event. You’ve just got to make sure you pick the right gifts and the right messaging.
Company Swag for Entering a New Market
Your swag is only good if it’s actually valuable to your target consumer. That means that if you want to reach new groups of customers, you’ve got to pick promotional items that they’ll actually want to use. Whether you want to break in with a certain age group or expand your business to a new geographical region, promotional messaging can help.
Company Swag for Retaining Customers
Don’t forget about your existing customers! You already know that keeping your current consumer base loyal, happy and brimming with positive reviews is an effective marketing strategy with a relatively low ROI. Take it to the next level with promotional items tailored specifically to the customers you already have.
Company Swag for New Talent Acquisition
Forward-thinking companies know that the key to business success is good talent. What’s the key to attracting and retaining good talent, though? Belief in the brand. One way to build employee loyalty right at the outset is to invest in branded employee onboarding gifts that make your new hires feel welcome and excited to join the family.
Corporate Swag for Establishing Your Company
If one of your primary goals is to be considered a leader in a certain industry, you have to take certain steps to ensure that customers and potential clients take you seriously. Company credibility is one of the most important factors to building trust and loyalty within your base of prospects and existing customers.
- Brand with Honesty — You’ve heard it again and again: Authenticity is everything in modern marketing. Make sure that your branded, corporate gifts reflect your overall brand story in a way that’s totally honest. Nothing will drag your company credibility down faster than dishonesty and a lack of transparency. How does this translate to swag, you ask? It all comes down to messaging. Make sure that everything you put on your branded gear is vetted and honest.
- Promote Your Achievements — Humility is important to keeping your brand authentic and sincere, but there’s no harm in touting your best assets, either! Choose wording on your giveaways that celebrates awards, achievements and high positions within a certain market. This will help customers understand that you’re reliable, successful and, most importantly, well-established in the industry.
- Give Away Corporate Gifts — Swag is also a fantastic way to establish your company in a certain industry and help boost legitimacy. Another great way to help increase credibility is to use branded corporate gifts to entice executives, investors, fellow entrepreneurs and customers. When you give away unique business gifts, you’re more likely to get good reviews and endorsements, which can heighten your company’s credibility.
The Bottom Line
Just like anything else in business, choosing the right corporate swag for your specific marketing objectives is a combination of art and science. As long as you put in a little bit of thought, effort and passion, you can be sure your branded products will help you reach even the most lofty marketing and recruitment goals.
Want to stay up-to-date on the latest company swag tech trends?
We live and breathe all things tech and marketing swag. Every month, we share the best things we've discovered along with tips, insights and of course deals.