From Plastic to Fantastic: Earth Day Swag, Part 1
Earth Day is officially celebrated worldwide on April 22, but here at PROMOrx we like to think of Earth Day as everyday, with special attention placed on ways to be environmentally conscious throughout the year. You might be thinking: “Why does a promotional products company care about the environment?”
The answer(s), for us, lies in the facts:
- We are currently dumping 18 billion pounds of plastic into the world’s oceans.
- Every minute, one garbage truck of plastic is dumped into our oceans.
- It is estimated that by 2050 (in our lifetime!), there will be more plastic in the oceans than there are fish.
- Also, by 2050, it’s projected that 99% of all seabirds will have ingested plastic.
- Sea turtles are in drastic decline due to the amount of plastic in the ocean, which affects their eating, breathing, and reproductive abilities.
- Plastic can take up to 1,000 years to decompose in a landfill.
- The food (fish) we’re eating is ingesting plastic fibers. That has overall health effects for you, too.
And it’s not just plastics that are causing severe and permanent damage to our environment:
- 2.6 million trees are cut down every year thanks to junk mail (more reason to market your business with intention).
- 2.9 trillion tons of food waste enters the landfill every year, which causes greenhouse gases that affect the environment.
- Deforestation is the second leading cause of global warming, which is another great reason to choose products made from recycled materials.
Small Changes Add Up
Whew. Those are some pretty sobering statistics. Clearly, it’s time to start caring about the problem. In an industry riddled with cheap, disposable products (most of which are plastic), we are always looking for ways to be more environmentally conscious in the products we promote for your trade show giveaways and client thank yous. We do the research and offer you eco-friendly options that are small, but impactful steps in preserving our environment.
Small changes, even in your business branding and company marketing, can make a major impact on the air we breathe, the water we drink, the environment, and extinction of important habitats and animal life.
This is the benefit of partnering with someone who knows their stuff!
We can help you find cool products that are eco-friendly. This could mean choosing to promote your business with a reusable tote made from recycled plastics or it could mean adding your custom logo to a reusable water bottle. All it takes is being aware and making an effort to contribute where you can. Your clients will notice the difference and it offers you a chance to inform and educate as well as demonstrate to clients that you have a cause that you care about.
Stay tuned for part two of this series, where we’ll highlight a handful of products you can use in your Earth Day promotions and trade show giveaways, making it easy to transition your company swag from plastic to fantastic!